Young Adult (YA) Submissions Guidelines
We’re actively acquiring knockout books for our YA imprint, Sourcebooks Fire. We are particularly looking for strong writers who are excited about promoting and building their community of readers, and whose books have something fresh to offer the ever-growing Young Adult audience.
- 60,000-90,000 words
- Protagonists who are 15-19 and allow for potential adult cross-over appeal
- Unforgettable characters readers care about and can relate to in some way
- An authentic voice for the audience
- Powerful, credible world-building (which applies to non-paranormal/fantasy/dystopian too! )
- A fresh premise with a marketing hook that can be conveyed in 2-3 sentences
- An age-appropriate romantic element, even if it’s not the main focus of the story
- The body of the email should be your query, which should contain: the genre of the book, approximate word count, a short (150 words or so) pitch, and any writing credentials (memberships to organizations, awards, quotes from other authors, etc.)
- Email the full manuscript in an attached WORD document. Please include your contact info within that document; and if the work is agented, please have agent info as well.
- Always include a synopsis (that goes all the way to the end of the book) in a separate attachment and complete bio, including a list of any and all previous titles with sales history
Material can be sent to
. Please allow 8-12 weeks for a response. We do accept unagented submissions; however, those with agents will receive priority.